You can green up your house by introducing indoor plants and flowers. An indoor plant not only serves for decoration purposes but also plays a defensive role against indoor air pollution.
Indoor air pollution is cause by a number of reasons such as use of air conditioners, vacuum cleaners, and poor air ventilation. Indoor plants help clean the air, give a cooling effect, alleviate psychological stress and produce oxygen. Many complaints such as allergy, dry throat, headache and dizziness are the cause of poor air quality. Therefore, it is very important that you improve the quality of air inside your house.
Indoor plants purify air by absorbing dust and other particles. They also create a cooling effect by increasing the level of Oxygen and humidity in the air. Studies have shown that many indoor plants have the ability to absorb pollutants like formaldehyde. Also, they have been known to act as a natural remedy to combat ‘Sick Building Syndrome’.
Dr. Bill Wolverton (former Sr. Research Scientist at NASA) has been doing research on the use of biological processes for solving environmental problems. His study proved that common plants have the ability to remove a number of pollutants from the indoor environment.
The results of NASA research on indoor plants prove them to be an efficient resource for absorbing contaminants in the air. In the future, plants may be sent into space as a part of the biological life support system.
Indoor plants like mint, coriander, thyme, oregano, gerbera daisy and chrysanthemums not only serve for cooking purpose but also remove benzene from the atmosphere.
- Spathiphyllum and Golden Pothos plants have tiny pores in the leaves. These pores absorb contaminants from the air and make it pollution free.
- Bamboo Palm is one of the most commonly use plants in homes. It is also well knownn for purifying the air.
- Chinese evergreen has green leaves that freshens up the air.
- English Ivy cleans air and is knownn as a reducer of allergy.
- Peace Lily has large green leaves and white flowers. It is beneficial in cleaning environmental contaminants like benzene and formaldehyde in the indoor air.